Global investment company KKR is in talks to join Animoca Brands’ latest financing effort, taking its funding from the round to about $500 million, according to a report by Bloomberg.
- KKR is one of a number of investors in talks with Animoca, Bloomberg reported Wednesday, citing people familiar with the matter.
- The Wall Street firm, which manages alternative investments such as private equity and hedge funds, will add to the almost $360 million raised from Winklevoss Capital, Soros Fund Management and others, which took Animoca’s valuation to around $5.5 billion last month.
- Animoca is an investor in non-fungible token (NFT) and metaverse-related projects, with a portfolio that contains play-to-earn game Axie Infinity, Dapper Labs, the company behind NBA Top Shot, and OpenSea, the largest NFT trading platform.
- Hong Kong-based Animoca has more than doubled its valuation in recent months, following a $65 million fund raise at a $2.2 billion valuation in October.
- KKR declined to comment when contacted by CoinDesk. Animoca did not respond to a similar request.
Read more: The Sandbox Looks to Boost Metaverse Startups With $50M Incubator Program